Most people have at some point regretted posting something on social media.
But, regardless of why you want to delete a Facebook post—whether it’s inaccurate, embarrassing, unflattering, something you wouldn’t want an employer to see, or anything else—you can permanently delete a post you’ve made on Facebook with a single tap or click.
How to Remove a Facebook Post from a Mobile App
1. Launch the Facebook application.
2. Navigate to your timeline by tapping on the hamburger menu (the three horizontal lines in the bottom right corner) and then tapping on your name at the top.
3. Locate the post you wish to delete and tap the three dots in the upper right corner.
4. Select “Delete.” Facebook will request that you confirm that you really want to delete the post—tap “Delete Post” to confirm.
How to Delete a Facebook Post from a Computer
1. Open your web browser and navigate to Facebook.
2. Navigate to your timeline by clicking your name in the upper left corner of the window, just below Facebook’s search box.
3. Locate the post you wish to delete and click the three dots in the upper right corner.
4. Select “Move to Recycle Bin” from the drop-down menu.
5. To confirm, click “Move” in the pop-up. All posts moved to your recycle bin will be deleted after three days. If you want the post removed immediately, you must also remove it from your recycle bin.
6. Click the downward-facing arrow in the top right corner of the Facebook window to access your recycle bin. Click “Settings & Privacy,” then “Settings” in the drop-down.
7. Click “Your Facebook information” and then “Activity Log” in the menu on the left side of the main Settings page.
8. On the Activity Log page’s left side, click “Recycle bin.”
9. Click the three-dot icon next to the post you want to completely delete, then select “Delete” from the drop-down menu.
10. Finally, click “Delete” once more to confirm in the pop-up. Your post has now been removed from your timeline, as well as your recycle bin.
How to Hide Other People’s Facebook Posts
Definitely, you can only delete posts you have created; you cannot delete something someone else has posted to Facebook.
If you don’t like a post in which you’ve been tagged or mentioned, you can ask the creator to edit or delete it. You have two other options as well:
- You can make it disappear from your timeline. This isn’t the same as deleting the post, and it may still appear in other people’s timelines, but you can prevent it from occurring in yours. To do so, select “Hide from timeline” from the three dots in the upper right corner of the post.
- If you’ve been tagged in a post, you cannot help yourself. This will prevent it from appearing in your timeline or in searches for posts containing your tag. To do so, select “Remove tag” from the three-dot menu in the upper right corner of the post.